Take your next career step with Axiom supporting our clients to maximise their asset integrity and minimise risk. This is an exciting opportunity to support a growing business and to deliver the Axiom Vision.
The Mechanical Engineer will join Axiom’s Engineering Services business, to support our internal teams and existing client base. This role requires you to withhold a level of responsibility aligned with delivering the highest Mechanical design standards, therefore, a high level of professionalism and technical proficiency will be required.
The role will operate UK wide in the target regions of: North East, North West, Humber and Scotland with target sectors in: Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals, Oil & Gas, Food, Bulk Storage & Distribution, Renewables and Energy.
- Carry out any and all work necessary to conduct mechanical consultancy such as, structural integrity evaluations, mechanical design, including specification of modifications and repairs to existing plant.
- Check the work of other colleagues such as, drawings, calculations, analysis plans, computational analyses and written reports.
- Conduct calculations and write reports on assessments undertaken.
- To use design skills to support the production of fabrication and modification drawings for new and existing plant, particularly within the scope of pressure systems.
- To carry out site-based surveys, liaising closely with clients, to determine the scope of fitness for purpose work or recommend repair procedures / design modifications.
- To work closely with other Axiom departments, such as our Materials and Process Safety teams, to support our clients with design services regarding the procurement of new equipment.
- Identify and explore further opportunities for further work with existing or new clients as they arise.
- Prepare proposals for new work (tenders) and contract manage jobs.
- To maintain continuous professional development by attending courses, conferences and seminars as appropriate.
- Develop Axiom’s capabilities in areas of latest technology and best practice within our industrial sector.
- Developed career in similar roles pertaining to Mechanical Engineering aspects of pressure system design / fitness for service.
- Experience in pressure vessel or piping design and the associated codes, PD5500, ASME VIII, API 579 and ASME B31.3.
- Proven ability to self-manage multiple projects simultaneously, demonstrating technical ability and commercial awareness.
- A track record of consistent report writing skills.
- An understanding of NDT techniques and their limitations would be advantageous.
- BSc / BEng Hons Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or similar).
- Chartership or working towards Chartership with the IMechE is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with Design by Rule (DBR) calculation methods regarding process equipment design.
- Proficiency in or exposure to pipe stress analysis software such as Bentley AutoPIPE or Caesar is desirable.
- Experience with 3D modelling and 2D engineering drawings is desirable.
- Experience of working with the DBA methods given in recognised pressure vessel design codes (ASME VIII and BS EN 13445) is desirable.
- A valid, full UK Driving Licence.
- Very strong interpersonal skills, organisational agility and well-developed influencing skills, ideally in client facing roles.
- Able to meet deadlines to an efficient standard.
- Comfortable using Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
To protect people, the environment and community by providing technically excellent services to support managing the integrity of assets in the fields of Materials, Mechanical Engineering, Inspection, Process Engineering and Process Safety.